Company: Square Roots
Posted on: May 14, 2022
About Square Roots
Square Roots is the technology leader in urban indoor farming. Its
mission is to bring local, fresh, real food to people in cities
around the world - setting new standards for transparency and
responsibility while empowering the next generation of leaders in
Founded by serial entrepreneurs, Kimbal Musk and Tobias Peggs, its
range of fresh produce is available in more than 200 retail
locations around the country including Whole Foods Market, Fresh
Thyme Market, SpartanNash, and FreshDirect. Square Roots' strategic
partnership with Gordon Food Service reinforces a larger shared
ambition to build commercial scale, climate controlled indoor farms
together across the continent - enabling local food at a global
scale, year round. For more information, please visit
About The Role
The Apprentice Grower role is the first step in a career path in
indoor farming at Square Roots. Apprentices join as full-time
employees from day one, and start by learning indoor farming
fundamentals before growing increasingly autonomous and moving into
a permanent Associate Grower position on our farm team.
When you join, you'll get ramped up remotely on Square Roots
basics-our mission, company goals, how to use business
communication tools like Slack and Google calendar, and more--
before even setting foot on the farm. Your first few weeks are
spent in a 'boot camp' style intensive farm-learning period, where
you'll be immersed in production farming basics through a
combination of virtual learning and hands-on training and
mentorship. You will then work under close supervision by the farm
management team, and then gradually more independently. You'll be
assessed periodically to get the feedback and support you need to
help you succeed. Once you've successfully mastered indoor growing
fundamentals, you'll be eligible to move into an Associate Grower
Starting pay rate is indexed to the local living wage, with
eligibility for growth in your first year. As a full-time employee,
you will also be eligible for 100% covered medical, dental, and
vision benefits and equity in Square Roots.
- Participate in an intensive indoor farming training ramp-up
period while also plugging into basic farm tasks around your
- Perform the work of growing food, to include seeding,
transplanting, harvesting, and packaging, adhering to production
schedule, all while maintaining Square Roots' strict food safety
and quality control standards, and adhering to COVID safety
- Maintain farm hardware and systems, including conducting
regular checks to ensure farms are in good working order, cleaning,
sanitizing, stocking farms with inventory; pest scouting and IPM
application; troubleshooting and repairs.
- Generate and enter farm data, utilizing Square Roots'
proprietary software, forms, spreadsheets, and other data
management tools; regularly review and learn to analyze data to
spot issues and report on trends.
- Participate in communications related to yield targets and
production work across the farm team and to other departments as
You Have Experience With
- Growing food in some capacity (on your own, in a community
space, or-bonus!-in a commercial farming environment)
- Working a repetitive, physically demanding job, possibly in the
food or service industry
- At least 1-2 years' general work experience (you know how to
show up and be a great employee!)
- Passionate about real, local food
- Interested in indoor hydroponic farming (maybe you've done your
own research, taken courses, or even have a little hands-on
- Interested in indoor farming as a career path
- Dedicated, resilient, and up for hard work; farming is a
- A collaborative and respectful team player with a "no task too
- Comfortable with a fast-changing, constantly evolving startup
- A clear, thorough communicator who prioritizes keeping your
team and manager informed
- A motivated self-starter, with an optimistic and proactive
- Methodical & detail-oriented - you understand the importance of
adhering to established guidelines
- Cool with working inside small spaces (we farm in shipping
- Local to our Springfield campus, or willing to relocate
- Available to work 40 hours a week, generally on weekdays but
some weekend work may be required
- Able to lift 40 lbs and stand for 6-8 hrs
You'll Love Working At Square Roots Because
- We're here to change the food system. You'll have the
opportunity to play a significant role in our work at the
intersection of technology, farming, and the global food industry -
and we're only just getting started.
- Our team is driven by a shared set of values. These keep us
aligned and remind us how to show up every day in the face of
growth and ambiguity. Whether you're working remotely or on the
farms, collaboration, respect, optimism and humility are all
embraced, and we seek to empower people at every step. Ask us about
- Benefits and perks, of course. We're all here first and
foremost to play our part in the mission, but medical, dental, and
vision coverage, flexible work life culture, and lots of samples of
the delicious food we grow certainly do not hurt. :)
COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
New employees are required to be fully vaccinated prior to their
start date. The definition of fully vaccinated includes a booster
for those that are eligible.
You Are Considered Fully Vaccinated If
- You have received a full series of the vaccine recently
(meaning 2 doses within 5 months for the Pfizer and Moderna
vaccines, or 1 dose within 2 months for Johnson and Johnson).
- You received your full series over 5 months ago for Pfizer and
Moderna or over 2 months ago for Johnson and Johnson, and have also
received a booster shot.
Proof of vaccination is required during the hiring process, and
employees will be required to get booster shots as they become
eligible to maintain their fully-vaccinated status.
As federal guidance on booster shots evolves, the definition of
'fully vaccinated' may change.
In accordance with EEOC guidance, if you are not vaccinated or do
not intend to be due to medical reasons or deeply held religious
beliefs, you may make an accommodation request and Square Roots
will make a reasonable effort to accommodate you, subject to the
requirements of the role you are applying for.
Failure to be fully vaccinated by start date without a documented
accommodation will result in offer rescindment or termination.
Keywords: Square Roots, Springfield , Apprentice Grower, Other , Springfield, Ohio
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!